Monday, May 6, 2019

Week in review April 29-May 5: Moderately boring and that's OK

Boring bike, boring weights, boring PT.
It was a moderately boring week last week, although I still ended up with a relatively low training volume. You’d think staying in and being a hermit would result in more training time, but that’s not always the case, I guess.

I did keep up my three-times-per-week on the trainer streak, I made it to barre and PT, AND I even did a weights video and a little bit of PT homework. That felt like a monumental effort to complete after work and around all the errands, cooking, and other mundane stuff that takes up so much of my time. I ended up taking Friday and Sunday off training, as per my usual routine, intentional or not.

I did cook dinner at home most days, had salad for lunch every day, and stayed in for Cinco de Mayo (although we went to Mexicantown for dinner Friday night with my husband’s family). I didn’t even open a bottle of wine all weekend! Who am I?! So, even if training didn’t get an A+, I did pretty well with healthy eating and at least I got SOME movement. I am taking the victories where I can get them, OK?

My hamstring and SI joint are still giving me trouble off and on and I honestly think it gets worse after PT, probably because I am using muscles in a different way after sitting all day. I am doing my stretches and SI joint loosener-uppers when I am feeling especially stiff. One of the stretches I do is to lie longwise on a foam roller and put my feet together so my legs butterfly outward; when I did this the other day and sat back up, my tailbone cracked about 5 times all the way up. There are obviously some mobility issues there.

Anyway, hamstring pain and SI joint weirdness aside, the week worked out to be:

Bike: Three times, all on the trainer, for 51.25 fake trainer miles in about 3:37. I wasn’t able to make an outdoor ride work this week, but at least I did my three trainer rides.

Weights: One barre class and one video, plus chin-ups and pullups afterward, for about 2:15 all together. I was happy to get back to barre for the first time in a month. I usually do my heavy/body routine on Saturdays, but it was getting late and I was running out of mental bandwidth, so I compromised and did a video with some standing chin-ups and pullups afterward. For some reason this was a slog and I needed a brain break 20 minutes in, but I rallied and finished, so go me!

Also, randomly, my muscles in the area of my side back and armpits – lats? – usually hurts for days after I do pullups, but this time around they don’t hurt at all afterward. I only did standing, not hanging, and that can’t be a coincidence.

PT: Twice, one in-person session and one hamstring homework session, for about 1:30. This is the absolute bare minimum I should be doing.

Total: Seven sessions in about 7:22. Eh, I’ve definitely had worse weeks, and it’s still five good days, so I’ll take it.

The next two weeks are going to be busy, busy, busy as it’s the most hectic time of the year for my job. I don’t know how I’m going to get through them except to focus on one day at a time. I’m concentrating on maintaining my three-days-per-week bike trainer streak and making it to my PT appointment. If I can fit a weights video in, I’ll be ecstatic. I'm going to do what I can do, eat healthfully, try to get some sleep, and hope for the best.



No comments:

Post a Comment