Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Week in review Sept. 7-13: Holidays and long days

Not terrible considering ... everything.

Ugh — I am already behind at everything and it's only Tuesday. Last week was rough, even with the extra day off, and I think I'm still feeling the effects.

I'm learning that here in Pandemic World there are going to be good weeks and not-so-good weeks. Last week wasn't TERRIBLE but the stress of everything got to me and it definitely showed in my training. I didn't make it to the pool at all, and I didn't have time to buy a new bike tire before Wednesday, so I didn't go for an outdoor ride, either. I spent a good part of my furlough day working at our side business, which is fine on occasion but ... who wants to spend a day off working?

The weather also started to turn last week, which is nice for running, but sad for me who really likes summer. I'm just not ready for fall — am I ever? Kids are back at school, and I'm stressed thinking about COVID numbers rising at local colleges and my alma mater. Plus, the sun rising later and set earlier had really started to be more noticeable in the last few weeks. Dark, chilly, pandemic, stress, no days off — it was a lot to handle.

Even though I was stressed and didn't sleep a whole lot, I still managed a decent week of:

Bike: Three times, all on the trainer, for 58 fake trainer miles in about 3:47. I had shredded my tire the week before and hadn't had a chance to get to the bike shop before last week, and I needed to put in a few good hours at our business anyway, so no outdoor rides for me last week. I'm going to try to fit in as many as possible before the weather really turns. I have all winter to focus on trainer rides.

Run: Three times, all on the road, for 22 miles in about 3:42. I have been adding on a half mile or so to my Saturday runs and so far, so good. I thought about doing a virtual race this fall but, meh. This range is feeling good for me so I'm going with it.

Weights: Twice, one video and one heavy/body session, for about 2:30. It's been a while since I did pullups and I was feeling it. I've been consistent-ish for a few months now so I'm happy with this.

PT:
Three sessions of my prescribed moves plus rolling.

Yoga: One 15-minute session. Every week I swear I'm going to do more and then I don't. I'm weak.

Total: 12 sessions in a hair less than 12 hours.

This week is shaping up to be about the same, but it's early yet. I think my pool days are pretty much behind me for the year, although I MIGHT try to squeeze in one more swim on a warm day later this week. My shoulder was killing me this weekend to the point I couldn't lift a wine glass or coffee mug, but it's better a few days later. I'm still stressed about the pandemic, and losing daylight, and work, and and and and, but I seem to be doing an OK job managing it with training and playing with the dogs. Sleep will probably always be something I need to work on.

Anyway, I hope you are holding it together and getting in some good training sessions if you can. At least we have fall running to look forward to!



No comments:

Post a Comment