Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Week in review August 24-30: More swimming than I've done in years

A lighter week, but still not a bad week.
My big news this week is that I made it to the pool a whopping three times. I know that's nothing for a "real" swimmer, but I honestly can't remember the last time I swam three times in a week. From scrolling WAY back in my logs, it's been at least four years. Wow, wow, wow.

It's been a weird, weird time these past few months. I've been hunkered down as much as possible, only interacting with other humans at the grocery store or when we go to a restaurant with outdoor seating. I've been running and riding solo and swimming mostly solo in the outdoor pool I have access to. I don't know if it'll be open past Labor Day and I don't know if and when I'll have access to an indoor pool. So I figure, why not take advantage while I can? Who would have ever thought I would enjoy and want to swim so much.

We had some severe weather last week, so I had to do some shuffling to avoid storms. I did two weights workouts, but I only did two bikes (one outdoors) and two runs, when I usually do three of each. It was fine, though; I enjoyed the slightly lower volume week and the extra pool time.

By the numbers:

Bike: Twice, once on the road for 37 miles and one trainer ride for 23 fake miles for 4 hours almost exactly. The outdoor ride was hot but I had some new gloves and a new jersey, so that part balanced out the heat.

Weights: Twice, one video and once through my heavy/body routine, for about 2:30 total. Nothing too out of the ordinary here. I'm pretty happy that I've been able to maintain a lifting routine.

Run: Twice, both on the road, for 12.5 miles in about 2:07. Nothing out of the ordinary here, either. It was hot. I brought water. The end.

Swim: THREE times, all in the pool, for 4800 meters in about 2 hours exactly. I'm pretty much only doing drills and freestyle here, and that's fine for me.

PT: Twice through my homework routine for about 1:10. 

Yoga: Just once for 15 minutes. I'm still having a hard time finding another block of time during the week. Maybe that will be my September challenge. 

Total: 12 sessions in a hair longer than 12 hours.

Considering the weather and other challenges of the last week, I'm happy with this. I ended happy, uninjured, and still married, and had time for some family fun and relaxation, too. And, for the next few weeks, I'll be trying to squeeze every last bit out of summer that I can.




No comments:

Post a Comment