Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Belated week in review Sept. 14-20

Ugh — I've been busy. It's been a week where things keep expanding to fit all of my free time and I don't have much left over for errands, relaxing, blogging, etc. Last week I had to work into the evenings a couple times and I dedicated a whole day to food prep and cooking up garden produce.

I mean, those are still first-world problems and I'm not really complaining. I got in a decent training load last week, even if I was up past my bedtime most nights. I am trying a couple new things: Working a fourth run back into my week, since I'm not going to be able to swim outside any time soon; and doing some mobility work at least once per week. For the past two weeks now, Monday swims have been replaced with easy runs + mobility and it feels good so far. I do love a good theme and am jokingly calling them Meander and Mobility Mondays for now.

A few weeks ago I got a flat tire on a bike ride and it's been surprisingly hard getting that taken care of. I needed a whole new tire, and I want to support my local shops, so that took a few extra days. My lever snapped, so I had to go to another shop to buy new levers. The tire came out of the box in a square shape (???), which made getting a new tube inside it almost impossible. I tore the first tube and spent an hour with surgical precision arranging a second tube inside the tire, praying to all the cycling gods when I finally did need to use the levers for the last bit that the tube was safely inside. I haven't left for my ride yet, so I guess we have yet to see how good of a job I did.

I only lifted weights once last week and didn't do any yoga, but some of that time was replaced with making tomato sauce with tomatoes fresh from the garden, working late, making zucchini bread, supporting a friend's new socially distant biergarden, etc. You win some, you lose some, and it was still a good week overall.
Solid week for running and cycling.
Training totals were:

Run: Four times, all on the road, for 25.2 miles in about 4:17. Adding another easy run is feeling good so far. My "long" run this week was 8.2 running plus 0.5 warmup/ cooldown to equal 8.7 miles for Justice Ginsburg, and that didn't feel like too much. I'm not too keen to add any speed work back in yet, so I'll keep going with the additional easy run and slightly longer long runs for now.

Bike: Three times, all on the trainer, for 59 fake trainer miles in about 4:03. Since I didn't get to ride outside last week, I did a slightly longer ride mid-week. I'm re-watching Parks and Recreation and it's the perfect show to zone out to.

Weights: One heavy/body session for about 1:25. I don't even remember why I didn't do a mid-week weights session — I was probably tired and took a nap, haha.

PT: One running form session and one mobility session (some moves I saved on Instagram) for about 50 minutes.

Swim: One 1600 meter session in the pool for about 43 minutes, just drills and a longer set.

Total: 11 sessions in about 11:17.

So, not terrible. It was a solid running week, had some new stuff to try, and worked around the changing of the seasons and other life demands. With no races or anything else coming up, that's about all I can expect.

I hope your weeks have been safe and training-tastic!



No comments:

Post a Comment