Monday, October 15, 2018

Week in review Oct. 8-14: A monster week inspired by Kona and boring-ness

A great week.
Last week was my best week for training in a while. I made it work by having ZERO after-work commitments, being boring and having no social plans, and having chilly weather on Saturday that coincided with Kona coverage, leaving me perfectly happy to train indoors all day while watching various Facebook streams.

I was feeling pretty burnt out by the end of the day Friday and it was starting to drizzle cold rain, so my thoughts for a speed-ish run went quickly and easily out the window in place of getting cozy under the covers only to emerge to go out to dinner. That, and not making it to the pool, were my only real misses of the week. I made my PT a priority and even squeezed in some yoga last (Sunday) night to round out the week.

By the numbers, it was:

Bike: Three times, all on the trainer, for 41.5 trainer miles in about 3:35. My return to Trainer Road is going as well as can be expected. Except for my phone dying during my “long” ride on Saturday, I feel I’m building back up to challenging rides with no real knee pain.

Run/walk: Three times, all on the road, for 15.5 miles in about 2:50. Even though I skipped my speed-ish run Friday, I ran long-ish on Monday to make up for missing last week’s Sunday long-ish run. I was also able to bump up my run intervals to 8 minutes, keeping the 1-minute walk recovery, with no problems.

PT: Four sessions for about 2:45 total. I made this a priority to do after two workouts during the week and both weekend workouts.

Weights: Twice, one video and one heavy/body routine, for about 2:05 total. I like going to barre, don’t get me wrong, but I need to work Jillian Michaels back into my life so she can properly kick my butt once or twice a month. I was sore for days. And I’m sore again today because I had been neglecting pullups until Saturday.

Yoga: One 20-minute session of mostly bends and pigeons.

Total: A monster 13 sessions in about 11:35. My biggest week in a while and only the second week this year that I’ve gone longer than 11 hours.

So, the secret seems to be, be boring. Have no social commitments after work (fine by me), eat leftovers at least once (also fine), and have an endurance event on TV all day Saturday so you can do something active the entire time. Also, the weather needs to be nice enough to run a few times per week, but not TOO nice, so you don’t get distracted and want to go for a walk or something when you should be doing a weights video. Ha!

This coming week will most likely be a bit easier, but that’s fine – I think I deserve a break. A nice, boring break.




No comments:

Post a Comment