Monday, October 8, 2018

Week in review Oct. 1-7: A bit of a reprieve

I finally feel like I can breathe again… a little bit. Last week was still busy, but I actually had a minute or two of downtime, if you can imagine that.

Lately, I have been starting the weeks off strong and then slowly fading. Part of that is because I food prep on Sunday, usually making salads for the next three days and prepping or planning leftovers for dinner Monday. So on Monday and some Tuesday nights, I don’t have to do much in the kitchen, and can do PT after my main workout. And it’s awesome! But by the time Wednesday night comes around, I need to do another round of lunch prep (salads don’t keep for five days in my experience), and I’m starting to get tired, and doing that extra workout falls by the wayside.

I actually didn’t do badly this week with a workout every day after work until Friday, when I knew I had to work late so I did my run in the morning. I was at a college football game and all the festivities alllllllllllllll day with no time to work out on Saturday, and wasn’t feeling great yesterday, although I did do some yoga before bed so I could say I did something (and because I needed it). So, while I did fizzle out, a strong start and being pretty consistent paid off overall.
Not too bad, considering.
Bike: Twice, both on the trainer, for 23.25 trainer miles in about 2:02.

So, I re-started my Trainer Road account last week. My knee has been feeling mostly fine during trainer rides so I decided to bring it back as a test of knee fitness and also because I do want to improve. I really had good intentions to ease back into it, but that all went out the window once I saw that FTP line. I would have stopped had I felt actual pain, don’t worry. I had a few twinges of discomfort but nothing that crossed that line. I’ll continue to ride semi-cautiously and build slowly.

Run/Walk: Twice, both on the road, for 8.35 miles in about 1:34. Both of these runs were tough; one was after an extremely emotional day Wednesday, both low and high, and one was my first truly chilly morning run before work Friday. I wasn’t feeling great yesterday and figured a day focusing on rest and food prep would be better for me than stressing about squeezing in a long-ish run.

PT/Rehab: Two solo sessions for about 1:15 total. My pattern for the last month has been to neglect my PT except for some combination of Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday. Prime example of how I fizzle out at the week wears on. Maybe I need to do something like move my Thursday workout to before work and do Therapy Thursdays after work? I’m open to ideas.

Weights:
One barre class for about an hour.

Yoga: One solo session for about 15 minutes.

Total: Eight sessions in about 6:07. I would have liked to log a few more hours, but I’m pleased that I did eight sessions, especially considering I took one rest day and one yoga-only day.

Overall, it wasn’t a bad week and wasn’t a bad start to the month, either. Here’s hoping I can hold off that fizzle for as long as possible.



2 comments:

  1. Did you do the ramp test or one of the more traditional FTP tests?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just jumped back into whatever wattage goals it saved for me when I canceled my account months ago. Probably a dumb idea but I managed to hold on!

      Delete