Monday, November 13, 2017

Nov. 6-12: I have nothing to review.

=(
My training is not in a good place right now. After a long run a few weeks ago my left knee was a bit tender underneath my kneecap, and it would hurt off and on. After a speedy run a week and a half ago the tenderness turned to pain, and “off and on” turned to on, all the time.

Yesterday I was in the kitchen, literally minding my own business, when suddenly I couldn't put weight on or extend my knee. Well, this isn't good. I rested it for a while, hobbled around some more, rested, hobbled, and went to bed. This morning it was fine, and then it wasn't, and then it was fine again.

Magically, I could get into the doctor this morning, and she confirmed something was going on. I didn't get X-rays since it's obviously a soft tissue thing, but I did get a referral to an orthopedist that I should make an appointment for now; I can always cancel later if it stops giving me trouble. I'm in a bandage now and getting around OK as long as I don't have to bend my knee too deeply.

As a result, my mental state isn’t in a good place, either. Between the not running, the knowing something is wrong, and the cold front that moved in last week I am the Queen of Crab. There has been a lot of lying around and moping. To be fair, there has also been a decent amount of cooking, errand-running, and crocheting Christmas presents, so not all is completely lost. But still – I am not happy.

I’m signed up to run a race next week and I have no idea where I will be running-wise tomorrow, let alone then. A silver lining is this race does allow transfers, so if I can’t run there is a good chance my money won’t be wasted. But *I* wanted to do this race.

So I don't know what will be going on for running and anything else in the future. I'm going out of town Thursday and I'm going to try to enjoy myself, even if I do have to hobble and limp around. Hopefully I'll have good news soon.



4 comments:

  1. Ugh, sorry to hear about the knee. Hopefully it clears up soon and that if you need to see the ortho it isn't too long a wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the thoughts. Right now I am mostly bummed. We'll see what happens.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for responding to my blog. Sorry about your knee issues- it is always better to make a doctor's appointment ASAP and hope it goes away than to wait, so I would go ahead and call the ortho and get on the list and cancel if you have to (here it takes 2 weeks to get in). I hope you can run the race but if not, transferring is always a good option to have. I had to miss a race yesterday but volunteered instead and still had a good experience with that, so that is another option if you transfer and the race needs help.

    I hope you have a good Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I insisted on getting a doctor appointment that first day and was able to get a referral and appointment with an orthopedist less than three weeks later, which I consider an amazing victory! I would definitely rather hear from an orthopedist that it's nothing than hope it's nothing and royally screw up my knee in the process. Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

      Delete