Monday, April 11, 2016

Week in review April 4-10: A gloriously plan-free weekend means lots of training

Not too shabby!
Last week started off OK. Training early in the week included an OK swim, a decent trainer ride and lower-body weights, and a day off Wednesday because I was tired and decided to accompany my husband to his work party. But, it backfired: I ended up more tired because we got home late. Ugh. I rallied later to finish out the work week with another trainer ride and another trip to the pool.

And then, two and a half wonderful days of NOTHING. No family in town, no work events, no neighborhood parties, no obligations, NOTHING. I got some extra sleep both Saturday and Sunday mornings, I cooked breakfast both days, I went to the market and the grocery store, I drank coffee out of mugs of the ceramic, not travel, variety.

The only thing that didn’t cooperate was the weather. It frickin’ SNOWED both days. But, all the more incentive to hunker down inside, I guess.

Swim: Twice, both in the pool, for 5600 meters in about 2 hours, 20 minutes. I got very short of breath at the very end of my Friday swim, so I did a sloooooooow cooldown.

Bike: Three times, both on the trainer, for 4.5 hours. Nothing special here.

Run: Just once this past week, on the treadmill, because I didn’t feel like dealing with the cold. I did a boring 3 miles in 30 minutes so my legs wouldn’t forget how. My IT band did feel a bit uncomfortable about 2.5 miles in, but I think that has more to do with my old, crappy treadmill jerking unevenly. Time to Google how to tighten the belt, I think.

Weights and plyo: I actually had some success with this, this week! I tried breaking up “weights” into chunks of upper body, lower body, and abs. I did lower body and abs in quick hits during the week, upper and lower on Saturday with my plyo moves, and abs again on Sunday. (Total was about 1:40.) Counting a week ago Sunday it took me eight days to get through the rotation twice, but it’s much better than my previous routine of doing zero.

Pre-hab: Another success! I got through my entire glute routine and some ankle-strengthening exercises with my wobble board on Sunday, in between prepping food for the week and making dinner, over about an hour.

Yoga: One quick 15-minute stretch Sunday night. I could have done 20 of these!

Total: 14 sessions in almost 10 hours, 20 minutes. My best week in at least a month. Yay!

So, the secret to getting in lots of training is to have a clear calendar and not leave the house; basically, become a hermit. Got it!

No comments:

Post a Comment