Monday, July 5, 2021

Week in review June 28-July 4: Fitting in workouts around family in town

A darn good balance of run, PT, and bike.
Last week wasn't the greatest for swim-bike-run, but I had a good reason: My uncle came into town from out of state later in the week, and on Sunday 20 members of my family went to the ballgame. We were pretty rowdy, but we intentionally bought tickets in the shaded nosebleed seats, so no one got kicked out. Ha!

Thursday became a rest day since we met my uncle for dinner about halfway between our place and my parents' place. I have been feeling kind of stressed and overwhelmed lately so it was nice to take a break in the middle of the week and catch up with family. It was also nice to take the night off cooking.

I had one of the worst runs of my life on Friday. It was warm but not hot and humid, so that wasn't it. My legs had no pep in them and I felt sick to my stomach. I almost quit at miles 2 and 4 but I told myself to just keep going for an hour and get it over with. It was horrible and I was never so glad to be back home. I'm still not sure WHY this felt so badly other than just cumulative fatigue and stress.

I was feeling much better by Saturday for a long trainer ride and my weights workout, and got up early-ish on Sunday to squeeze in a 9-mile run before family started coming over. It WAS hot and humid again, but I stopped to drink some of my ice water every 2 miles, zoned out to a new podcast, and jogged it out. I did get a pretty bad side stitch at the very end, which I think was just because I was running low on water and trying to ration. Next time I might swing by home to fill up my bottle instead.

I didn't make it to the pool last week. It looks like we're taking a spontaneous trip out of town next weekend, so after I get home from that I feel like it would be a good time to regroup and figure out if I want to do any races yet this summer and fall so I can start training more seriously if I want.
No swimming, but that's OK.
Last week was:

Run: Three times, all on the road, for 22.5 miles in about 3:49. Most of these were hot and miserable but I got them done.

PT/Pre-hab: Six sessions (3 mobility and 3 running rehab) in about 3:45. This is almost as much as I ran, which is about where I need to be in my early 40s, I think.

Bike: Three times, all on the trainer, for 59 fake trainer miles in about 3:33. I have been dropping my fourth trainer workout in favor of "other" lately, which I think is OK for now as long as I don't have a race on the horizon.

Weights: Three times including one core session, one mid-week barre app session, and one heavy/body routine for about 2:45. I changed up my one-legged squats this week and hoo boy did I feel it the next day.

Yoga:
Three times, all Down Dog app sessions on run days, for about 45 minutes total. Never has a half pigeon hurt so good.

Total: 18 sessions for about 14:37. A pretty good week, especially considering all the ruckus sprinkled throughout.

We're looking at another hot week with thunderstorms coming up, never mind going out of town for the weekend, so outdoor runs and swims might be iffy for a while. I'm going to try to front-load this week and if I can't, eh, we'll consider it a summer break while I figure out what if anything I'm training for later on.

I hope you are staying cool and getting whatever training done that feels good for you.



No comments:

Post a Comment