Friday, July 9, 2021

Quick June wrap-up: 100 miles running, back in the pool, stuck on the trainer

A pretty good spread for June.

I mentioned already that I hit 100 running miles for June — woo hoo! — but the rest of the month training-wise was also pretty good. I didn't make it outside to ride, but I did make it to the pool a few times and did plenty of weights, PT, and yoga.

The only thing I did less of in June as compared to May was one fewer bike ride. I did go out of state for a few days in May, so June was a bit more consistent. And, getting in the pool took precedence over that fourth bike ride of the week. But overall, I feel it was a bit better spread over disciplines.

I also had two full rest days in June, which rarely happens. One was for a family trip in a hot-air balloon, which was 100% totally worth it. I don't remember what the other was for, but it was a Friday so I was probably tired, and it was probably raining. I'm OK with that.

Even a bit of swimming in there!

By the numbers, June was:

Run: 12 times for 100.5 miles in about 16:25. These were mostly easy runs, partly because of the heat. I did throw a couple of "speedy-ish" runs and two "long" runs of 12.5 miles (to make two hours) but other than that, it was business as usual.

Bike: 13 times for 253 fake trainer miles in about 15:27. This averaged out to be three times per week, giving up that fourth ride for a few swims. I wanted to get outside this month but it didn't quite work out with the weather (we had some pretty severe flooding along one of my favorite bike routes) and life in general. Plus, my roadie needs a tune-up, and I haven't made the time yet.

PT/Pre-hab: 24 times, 13 mobility sessions plus 11 running PT, for about 14:15. This is pretty close volume-wise to what I ran for the month, which is about where I need to be at my age to stave of injuries, I think. It's working so far, anyway.

Weights: 13 times including 4 core sessions, 4 heavy/body sessions, 3 barre app sessions and 2 videos, for about 12:10 total. This is a good amount for me.

Yoga: 12 times, all on run days for 15 minutes of the Down Dog app, for 3 hours total. I am doing well with "forcing" myself to do yoga on run days and I definitely feel more limber. Plus, it's nice to dedicate a small sliver of my evening to some quiet, me time. Is it helping? It's probably not hurting. I'd like to add another session or two on non-run days during the week, but I' still finding it hard to squeeze in the time.

Swim: 3 times in my beloved outdoor pool for 4800 meters (1600 m each) in about 2:11. Slow, but I'm getting back into it and doing a lot of drills, so it's all good. The important thing right now is that I'm getting in the water.

Total: 77 sessions in about 63:27, a pretty good month for me.

The first part of July has already gone pretty wonky with family in town and us planning a last-minute weekend trip, so I don't expect there to be big numbers in a few weeks. I think my main goals for July are to be consistent and have some fun. Maybe I'll even sign up for a race, but we'll see how the month goes.

Stay healthy and safe out there!



No comments:

Post a Comment