Monday, June 28, 2021

Week in review June 21-27: Through hell(ish temperatures) and high water

You say boring, I say consistent.
It's been A Week. It started off as most weeks do, with an easy trainer ride and supplemental work, and a run on the coolest day of the week. Even my husband came with me for a few miles.

Then, someone turned the furnace on and the Midwest became a relentless inferno. I made it to the pool once on a day I got lucky dodging rain clouds. In two separate incidents, we had to rip out drywall and repair a water line leak (!), and we had severe thunderstorms that caused flooding and kept my husband busy all day Saturday. I don't care if I don't see another drop of water for a while.

I wasn't in a great mental place Friday and ended up passing out on the couch early-ish while watching Parks and Recreation reruns, so I skipped a workout that day. One of our dogs is terrified of storms, so she kept us up most of the night Friday into Saturday. Saturday, a lot of friends were dealing with flooding and property loss, which was difficult to see. We ended up on the lucky side but it was still a rough weekend.

I knew the weather was only going to get hotter as the day went on Sunday so I went out for a long run mid-morning. It was "feels like" high 80s by the time I finished but I had enough ice water and just gutted it out. I came home to coffee (yes I drink it hot all summer long) and bacon, so it was a pretty good way to wrap up a summer run.

I'm still not signed up for any races, so I think this mix of a few runs in the heat, some bike trainer rides, a swim here and there, and my usual weights, PT, and yoga routine, and maybe a complete rest day here and there, is just fine for the time being.
A decent amount of training this week, considering.
Overall, training was:

Bike: Three times, all on the trainer, for 58.5 trainer "miles" in about 3:35. I would have liked to go out for a road ride Saturday, but the highways were and still are flooded, so no one's going anywhere for a while.

Run: Twice, both on the road, for 20 miles in about 3:24. This was one easy mid-week run and one 12.5-miler in the heat, just in case I want to jump into a half marathon this fall, haha.

Weights: Three times -- my usual core Monday, a mid-week video, and my Saturday heavy/body weight routine -- for about 2:50.

PT/Pre-hab: Five times, three mobility and two PT sessions, for about 2:45. I did skip one of my usual PT sessions for my sanity. 

Swim: One 1600-meter swim of drills and 200s for about 44 minutes.

Yoga: Twice, both Down Dog app, for 30 minutes total.

Total: 16 sessions for about 13:47. A good summer week that included some easy workouts and a rest day.

I'm not setting any records right now but I am getting out and enjoying summer when I can. I still have to take my bike out on the road and go run trails, but I'll get those done eventually. In the meantime I'm maintaining my consistency and sanity in the air conditioning when I can.




No comments:

Post a Comment