Friday, December 4, 2020

November in review: Turkey, trails, and trying to stay healthy

November was a pretty darn good month, considering. I didn't make it to the pool, and I eased up a bit on running toward the end, but I still logged a good amount of training. Sessions-wise, I think it was the highest number all year, and hours-wise, only May had more volume.

I know it's not about the numbers, especially now when there are no races and I'm really staying in shape and sane, but I still like track from month to month. I really got into a groove this month with 24!!! PT or mobility sessions, maybe the most I've ever done; 9 weights sessions and 8 yoga sessions are also very, very good for me.

Full disclosure: I did take some time off this month. I took a few days mid-month to celebrate my husband's birthday, and then I had some time off around Thanksgiving. But even then, I didn't do anything ridiculous to pack my days with workouts; it was more about sleeping in and getting stuff done around the house.

It was hard not seeing family for Thanksgiving, but we made time for group Zoom calls, cooked only our favorite foods, and didn't have to share desserts. We made the best of it during this pandemic. And not having to squeeze in two family dinners meant that we could do our own Turkey Trot, so there were a few silver linings.

Overall, November consisted of:

Mileage for the last few months is looking good.

Run: 16 times, all on the road, for 109.3 miles in about 18 hours, 48 minutes. I ran four times per week early in the month, including a mid-week 11-miler, 10-mile trail run, and 12-miler. My bad knee was a bit tender after that, so I backed off a bit for both frequency and long run distance. It's getting colder and the sun is already set by the time I wrap up with work, so I'm OK with easing up a bit for now. I also only did one speed run early in the month, for the same reason. Eh, I'm OK with running mostly easy miles for a while.

Bike mileage is also looking pretty good.
Bike: 12 times, all on the trainer, for 231 fake miles in about 15 hours, 11 minutes. Not my best month by a long shot, but I didn't get outside at all, either. This was mostly steady riding as I watched Netflix, with the occasional more challenging ride or longer ride thrown in. I did end the month with my first FTP test in over a year, so I'm looking forward to even better numbers in December.

Weights: 9 sessions in almost 11 hours. This broke down to 3 online barre classes, 2 videos, and 4 heavy/body sessions. This is a little skewed because I did one weights workout on the 1st, a Sunday, when I usually lift on Saturdays, but twice a week every week is very good for me.

PT/Mobility: 24 sessions in about 9 hours, 40 minutes. I am in a good groove alternating shorter mobility sessions and longer PT sessions every other day, usually missing one or two days during the week, and I THINK it's helping me stay loose. Placebo effect, anyway.

Yoga: 8 sessions for a bit longer than 2 hours, which is probably the most yoga I've done in a month in a while. Sad, but I'm getting there, and I also think this is helping, too.

Last month's hours had a good variety.

Total: 69 sessions in about 56 hours, 38 minutes. A really good month for me, volume-wise.

I'm not setting any records, but that's OK. I had a solid month with consistent workouts, I had a few adventures, and I ended it overall uninjured and still married. I don't know when my next race is, but that's OK. I'm still having fun and keeping things interesting.

I hope your November was good and that your December is off to a great start!



No comments:

Post a Comment