Monday, January 13, 2020

Week in review Jan. 6-12: Flop to start, flop in the middle, flop to finish

Bike, run, blah.
Last week started as a flop and ended as a flop, and although I’m trying to be nice to myself about it, I’m still pretty bummed that it was a dud of a week.

I started out the week bailing on a bike trainer workout, as my legs were still tired from a long run the day before. But, I did spin easy to make an hour, so I gave myself a pat on the back for at least doing something.

I rallied Tuesday and Wednesday with a nice easy run and a redemption ride redoing Monday’s workout, so I was feeling pretty good. Thursday I was without a car during the day and had to pick it up from the dealership after work, and I didn’t get home until past dinnertime. There was no workout that day.

I was back in the game with a nice treadmill speed run Friday and a long ride and weights workout Saturday, but everything was covered in ice and bitter cold on Sunday, and I just couldn’t bring myself to bundle up and head out there. I heard through the running grapevine that runners were slipping and falling all over the place, so I felt fine with my decision. (I don't have ice spikes, and I don't know that I want to commit to them.)

Plus, the changing weather makes my bad knee hurt, and I don’t know how well it would have held up. I had good intentions to go to the pool later, but I dozed off and then it was time to start dinner. I am disappointed in myself for that; I feel like I should have done something small, at least. Sad face, disappointed face.

The plus side is I’m well-rested for today, but I don’t have much to talk about from last week:

Bike: 3 times, all on the trainer, for 62 fake miles in about 4:09. Nothing out of the ordinary here except that ride I had to pull the plug on. And I still got 100K, so even then it wasn’t terrible.

Run: 2 times, both on the treadmill, for 12.5 miles in about 2:03. This was an easy run and a speed run, nothing out of the ordinary there. Everything felt pretty much fine.

Weights: 1 round of my heavy/body routine for about 1:15. At least I did this.

Total: 6 sessions in not quite 7.5 hours.

So yeah, not a great week. I’m happy I had a few small victories, such as the regrouping from a failed workout to an easy spin and getting some good weightlifting in, but… ugh. I feel like I could have done a lot better.

But, there's nothing I can do about it at this point. Time to move on and try to make this week a little better.




2 comments:

  1. Don't beat yourself up! You kept it all ticking over and it's the consistency that counts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that logically, but it's so hard to put into practice!

      Delete