Monday, January 6, 2020

Week in review Dec. 30-Jan. 5: Running from one year to the next

Some solid run and bike volume here.
Well, it was a fun holiday break but it was back to reality last Thursday. Even though I only had to work two days last week those were a LOOOOONG two days and I was happy for the weekend to come so soon.

I made the most of my week by doing two training sessions Monday through Wednesday and squeezing in one extra run. I was pretty tired Thursday and Friday, but I did manage one workout after work both days. I really wanted to lift weights Saturday but I called it after a hard two-hour trainer ride and relaxed instead. I did squeeze in my long run yesterday, but shortly afterward we were off to a birthday party and I didn’t have time for anything else. Darn it, real life adulthood!

I still managed 10 workouts and more than 10 hours of training, so still a really good week. It was:

Run: Four times, three on the road (one race) and one on the treadmill for 26.31 miles (marathon distance!) in about 4.5 hours. This week was quite a doozy for running:
  • Tuesday, Dec. 31, I ran a last-minute, very cold 5K to finish up the year. Since it was easy and short for me...
  • I also ran on Wednesday, Jan. 1, to kick off the new year. I couldn't let a sunshiney Jan. 1 pass me by!
  • I had to do speed work on the treadmill after work (boo) on Friday, but managed 6 descending miles with little ado.
  • And on Sunday I ran double digits for the first time in a while, even though it started SNOWING on me at about mile 6. Even though I was covered in snow and my chin was frozen (my buff failed me on this one), I figured I was already cold and snowy so why not finish? I was definitely the only crazy runner out there and was proud of myself for sticking it out for a full 10.
Bike: Three times, all on the trainer, for 63 fake trainer miles in about 4:05. This was my usual two shorter rides and one long ride. For some reason the last hour of my Saturday ride was a grind and I really struggled, having to take a few breaks on the last 20-minute interval. I was pretty zapped by the end and called it a day. I was disappointed in myself for not rallying for some weights and PT, but I think the relaxing and watching a movie instead did me good in a different way.

Weights:
Once, my heavy/body routine, in about 1:15. I did this Monday afternoon on a nice, quiet day between holidays.

PT: Once for about 35 minutes. Ugh, as expected, this was the first to fall off the cliff once I was back into my normal routine. And I did so well last week! This has to be a focus for 2020, especially as I’m running double-digit mileage again.

Yoga: Once at home for 20 minutes. This was the last thing I did for 2019. =)

Total: 10 sessions in about 10:44. There were a lot of good things happening this week, and that’s a good volume for me, so I’m counting this as a success.

I got the year off to a good start and I’m hoping to continue strong for as long as I can and with whatever time I can squeeze into my day. I’m looking forward to another good week.



No comments:

Post a Comment