Sunday, January 26, 2020

Does a perfect pool exist?

I hit the pool again today, which makes four times already this year. This is the most I've swum in a long, long time.

So far, I've swum in three different pools and they all have their highs and lows:

1. Full of kids but with decently separated lap lanes. Warm-ish and 25 yards. Good parking and a steam room, but outdated shower facilities.

2. Separated lap and family pools, so rarely any lane walkers or aqua joggers. 25 meters and cold, which hurts getting in and for the first few laps but more appreciated the longer you swim. Terrible parking and not-great hours, but top-notch locker facilities.

3. Usually full of kids but pretty much lap swimmers only over the winter. Dark and dingy. Warm-ish and 25 yards. Great parking, but a bit out of the way to drive. Terrible lockers and showers.

Depending on the day, if I have to work, if my husband wants to work out, if I'm already on that side of town, etc., I could visit any one of these. Is there really such a thing as a perfect pool?

The important thing is I'm getting in and swimming, right?




4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you've gotten back to it and hope you're able to keep it up! It's really nice that you have several options since getting to a pool can be tricky. I've found that I can only go super early in the morning because it gets too busy after work to be sure that I could get a lane. Every now and then if the lap pool is full (and people rarely offer to share a lane) I get stuck in the "leisure pool." It's a weird distance that's shorter than 25 yards and WAY too hot. I can't cope with the hot pools. I usually dread getting in the cold pool, but it's the initial shock and then it's all good. Plus, it's 25 meters which I prefer. Even if none of your three options are totally "perfect" hopefully you can figure out a good routine that keeps you sticking with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, hot pools are the worst! I have had to get out and stand next to an open door before so I didn't barf. I don't have much luck going right after work but have been OK with doing something else first and THEN getting in to swim. Usually all the kiddos are off to dinner by then. =)

      Delete
  2. OMG that is the million buck question. The closest I found in terms of temperature, lane ropes, non-swimmer management was an hour away from my last house; going there was a real treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is too much to ask for a 50-meter, 10-lane, no pool walker, cold, 24-hour facility with ample parking, amazing locker rooms, and a steam room to be built a 5-minute walk from your house? XD

      Delete