Tuesday, October 8, 2019

September: A whirlwind of sickness, football, work events and other shenanigans

I'm late reviewing September but for good reason: My sister was in town for a couple of days, which resulted in family get-togethers and troublemaking. I miss her already, but I'm also glad to get back into a schedule.

September started out as a dud when my long Labor Day weekend was interrupted by a migraine. I was able to rally later as the month went on and get in some good workouts, including runs that are starting to resemble actual speed runs. I lost one Saturday to a college football game and another to a days-long work event, although I was successfully able to flex some hours and run and ride in the morning a few times. Yay!

Considering all that, it wasn't as high-volume a month as August was, but I'm OK with how everything turned out. September shook out to be:
A pretty steady increase in bike mileage these last few months.
Bike: 11 times, 10 on the trainer for 168 fake miles and once on the road for 35 road miles, for a total of 13 hours, 31 minutes in the saddle. Even though this is less volume, some good news is this is the same number of trainer rides as August; I just lost out on two Saturday road rides. Biking was a slow and steady grind toward consistency.
Very exciting, steady increase in run mileage! Hooray!
Run: 12 times, all on the road (!), for 61.25 miles in about 10 hours, 24 minutes. I'm thrilled by this. No only does this mark a steady increase in mileage for another month, but there was very little walking within runs this month (although I do count a quarter mile warmup and cooldown on most runs as part of the total mileage). Also, my overall pace has come down. Again, slow and steady wins the race here, literally and figuratively.

Weights: 3 times, 2 videos and one barre class, for about 3 hours and 25 minutes. Not terrible; at least I am doing something. I also got the big idea to do chinups and pullups after every weights workout. It started off ... not well but it got easier as the month went on. Well, not exactly easier, but I could do a few more reps, if that counts.

PT: 5 times, all at-home exercises, for about 2 hours, 50 minutes total. Nothing special here. I would ideally like to bump this up a LOT.

Yoga: 2 times at home for about a half-hour total. Again, I would like to bump this up a LOT, at least once per week.

Total: 33 sessions in about 30 hours, 39 minutes. This is still an average of an hour a day, even with all the migraines, football games, work events, etc., so I can't be mad.

There is a possibility that I'm going out of town for one weekend this month, but nothing is set in stone yet, and hopefully that is just one weekend. I like my travel and adventures but I also like logging some good training sessions. Maybe someday I'll be rich and can take train-cations. Alas, for now I have to do it like every other not-rich person — managing my training around work, family, and other obligations.

I hope everyone had a great September, and that October is off to a great, spooky start! May your leaves be crunchy, your air be crisp, and your pumpkin spice lattes be hot.



No comments:

Post a Comment