Monday, February 18, 2019

Week in review Feb. 11-17: Ugh

Lots of running and my knee is feeling it today.
I’m glad last week is behind me. The weather wasn’t terrible – I even got to run outside twice. But I had a lot going on, I didn’t sleep well, and it was on the more stressful side.

I was glad I had taken Monday off after our weekend wedding in Iowa, because we got home super late Sunday. After sleeping in and going out to one last amazing brunch Monday, I did the usual routine of grocery shopping, food prepping, laundry, etc. to get ready for the week ahead. I even got a good run in outside and did some PT.

The rest of the week felt like two weeks of craziness were crammed into four days. Tuesday was stressful catching up on everything at work, and I stopped at a funeral home on the way home to support a friend during her loss. The weather was lousy and I was drained, and I think we ended up getting burgers and watching the Westminster dog show with the bar staff (at least we were among our people). I was able to rally Wednesday and Thursday for a trainer ride and a nice speed run. Thursday was also Valentine’s Day, which we don’t really celebrate, but we did order in barbecue that night. So romantic!

I was DONE by the end of the day Friday and mad that I missed my dogs’ vet appointment, at which my husband learned our old lady pit bull needs MORE dental work. Our lab mix completely freaked out at the vet, too, so we spent the rest of the night cuddling them and telling them what good girls they are. Thankfully, things were back to normal by Saturday, when I did a chilly but enjoyable long run before a friend’s party and then becoming a hermit for the rest of the night. Since yesterday was colder and snowier, I saved my long trainer ride and more PT for then, after and during another round of pre-week prep. It never ends.

My knee is a little tender after my long run Saturday and long trainer ride Sunday, so I’m planning on a day off today. Saturday was my longest run and this week was the most running I’ve done in I don’t even know – at least since October of 2017. I don’t know yet if this is an “oh crap I overdid it” tender or a “you did just run 11 miles for the first time in a year and a half” tender. It was feeling fine after the fact on Saturday so I’m hopeful.

Also, this is a stark reminder that I have to stop slacking off my PT. The more I run, the more I have to be vigilant about it. The end.

Anyway, last week’s numbers were:

Run: Three times, once on the treadmill and twice on the road, for 26.5 miles (that was an accident) in about 4.5 hours. Monday’s run was a chilly afternoon run while I was off work (I canNOT wait for Daylight Savings Time and evening daylight); Thursday’s was a building leapfrog of a challenging mile, a recover half-mile, a slightly more challenging mile, etc.; and Saturday’s was a chilly, boring-ish, long-ish run to see if I can build distance for a half this spring. You know, the basics.

Bike: Twice, both on the trainer, for 35.5 fake trainer miles in about 2.5 hours. I made running the priority this week instead of trying to make up trainer rides on the days I didn’t do anything fitness-related.

PT: Twice for about 1:30 total. I haven’t been good about doing this during the week, but I did one session on my day off Monday, and another on Sunday after my long trainer ride.

Yoga: Twice! Which I’m pretty sure doubles my total for the year! I was able to squeeze in two 15-minute sessions, which is better than nothing, and I’ll take it.

Total: 9 sessions in just longer than 9 hours. Not terrible.

I’m a bit grumpy today with the knee and the cold weather and the stress so I’m going to try to enjoy my evening off, get some other stuff done, and look forward to warmer temperatures. Bah, humbug.

Here are some pictures of my mutts just because I haven't posted any in a while. Pics of them play fighting never fail to make me laugh.

Typical Saturday night.
Typical sisterly fighting.






No comments:

Post a Comment