Monday, December 16, 2019

Week in review Dec. 9-15: Winter riding and winter running

Not a bad week!
I meant to come over here sometime mid-last week to check in, but with the holidays and associated stress levels and to-do lists, something had to give. Sorry! Everything is mostly fine, just busy.

I made one daily workout and cooking a healthy dinner my priorities, and therefore managed a pretty darn good week of workouts. Yesterday, Sunday, marked my ninth day of workouts in a row. Woo! I was out of town a bit during November, so I’m happy to get a good base for December going. And, a wedding Saturday was the only time I didn’t cook a (mostly) healthy dinner last week. Double woo!

Of course, it meant my week was pretty boring. I did a mini mid-week food prep session. We stayed in and watched TV Friday. The victory/accomplishment of the week was getting new passport photos taken, and I am just fine with that being the height of excitement this time of year. It’s OK to be boring! (hahaha)

I did have some good workouts last week. Even though I was more tired than usual (damn short sunlight hours) I did two shorter trainer rides during the week and one long trainer ride Saturday. My hip/psoas/glute/IT band/whatever is going on there felt well enough that I could do a bit of speed on the treadmill Friday, and I happily did not regret it on Saturday. I also did 8.5 miles running Sunday, only the second time I’ve been able to do that since last February. I was a little sore last night trying to sleep but not to the point where I felt I should not have run.

I think what really helped this week was two weights sessions (one barre class and one of my regular videos) and a round of PT, so three days total of something that included glute and hamstring exercises. I KNOW I need to do this more often to continue to strengthen my glutes and hamstrings but I often just run out of time. I am working on it.

The week worked out to be:

Bike: Three times, all on the trainer, for 62 fake trainer miles in about 4 hours, 5 minutes. I try to mix up my weekday workouts with different interval sessions (progressively shorter with higher intensity, repeated builds, etc.) and do a longer slog on Saturdays for endurance. So far, so good.

Run: Three times, twice on the treadmill and once on the road, for 20 miles in about 3 hours, 25 minutes. My treadmill runs were one easy and one slight progression of 5 miles increasing from 6.2-6.6 mph on the treadmill (9:40 minute per mile pace to 9:05 pace). I haven’t been doing any speed work at all so I felt challenged, but not BAD.

So, I felt OK shooting for 8.5 running miles Sunday, and didn’t really notice my hip/IT band/glute/whatever until the last 2 miles or so. It was chilly for me, but I bundled up and tried to keep moving. My ears were pretty cold, but I survived; plus, I knew I had to take advantage of getting any midday sun I could. (One more week until the solstice — I can do this!) My splits ranged from 9:33 for my first to a 10:04 pace for my last half mile, which is about what I expected. I’m not terribly concerned with doing fast long runs right now.

Weights: Twice this week! Yay for me! This a Muscle Monday (haha) video at home, and a barre class later in the week. I followed both with chin-up and pullup practice. I can do three sets of TWO full, HANGING pullups (overhand grip) now, which might be the most pullups I’ve ever been able to do. I have no real reason for working on these other than I want to and it’s kind of badass. Haha!

PT: Not nearly enough, but I did do one round of hip/glute/etc. moves for about 35 minutes on a day I didn’t do weights.

Total: Nine sessions in about 10 hours, 15 minutes. Yay, I hit the 10-hour mark! It’s been a couple of months since I’ve done that.

I am hoping that this week is another quiet, uneventful week during which I can do my workouts, cook healthy dinners, do some prep for Christmas here and there, and otherwise stay off the radar. I’m taking Wednesday off for errands and other things and I have a fridge full of healthy food, so I am well on my way. I just need to make it to Friday, when I can rest, relax, and reset.

I hope you had a great week and if you are preparing to celebrate the holidays, you are full of cheer and not stress!



No comments:

Post a Comment