Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Race Report: Rock CF Pure Detroit 5K 2019

Top shelf swag at this event. =)
Sunday morning my husband and I laced up our shoes for the fourth running of the Rock CF Pure Detroit 5K. It’s close by, cheap, and for a good cause, so we have participated all four years it’s been around (2018, 2017, 2016). This year didn’t disappoint.

We had been up late-ish the night before visiting with family in from out of town, but since the race didn’t start until 9 a.m., I set my alarm for 6:45. That gave me time to have a small breakfast, take the dogs out, and gather up all our running accoutrements. I should have looked for our race belts the night before and not as I was trying to walk out the door (lol), but all was located and we were out the door by 8:15 or so. It was later than I would have liked but we still had plenty of time to drive down, park, pick up our bibs, return our t-shirts to the car, spray some sunscreen, and walk around a bit.

My husband’s training has consisted of one slow jog last week, and I wasn’t sure how my hamstring would hold up, so we went into this race with zero expectations. We lined up near the back of the pack and after the horn went off walked for a bit until the crowd thinned, and then started our slow jog. It was a nice morning, not too hot and not too muggy, as long as we were getting a breeze. We chatted and enjoyed the course, and cheered for the leaders already on their way back as we hit the turnaround and water stop.

We walked the water stop just before halfway, and my husband requested that we walk for a few minutes a bit later (we weren’t getting a breeze in that part), but other than that everything felt fine. We were even able to kick to the finish for the last block, me teasing him, “Your wife is beating you!” as I ran ahead, which drew a few laughs. We cooled down, drank some water and got a cookie, picked up our glasses, and cheered for the young runners taking off for their Kids’ Mile before heading home.

It was our slowest time at this race so far, but it wasn’t about the time as much as it was about the tradition and getting outside to enjoy a beautiful summer morning. The fact that my hamstring and knee cooperated was an extra special bonus. Plus, with such a nearby race, we were home and had the pans for bacon and pancakes going by 10:15.

It was a great morning, a great time, and a great race. I’m already looking forward to next year – maybe by then I will be in actual racing shape!



4 comments:

  1. Yay for traditions! And for local races that don't suck up your whole day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Running, hooray! Being back home by 10:15, double hooray! XD

      Delete
  2. Sometimes it's nice to do races just for fun and have zero pressure. It sounds like you had a good time which is what it should really be all about! I'm glad your body cooperated and hopefully building your way back will go smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, it was a good time! And thanks for the good thoughts, I am really looking forward to getting back into a more serious running routine. =)

      Delete