Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Week in review August 10-16: Less volume but fewer aches and pains

Still a decent week considering the lower-than-usual volume.
I'm late to the party again, but it's for a good reason. I set a few "health" goals this week and one was to have lights out by 10:59. I usually get up at 6:30 a.m. and my bedtime kept getting later and later. So far I'm 3 for 3, even including last night before today's furlough day. That means I haven't been staying up late to write blog posts, but I think sleep is more important.

Anyway, looking back at last week, it was a bit off. It started off pretty strong, with my usual Monday recovery swim and my run plus PT on Tuesday. I had high hopes for a workout or two during my furlough day Wednesday, but my husband needed me to put in a full day at our business he runs. He usually manages things fine without me, so I can lend the occasional helping hand even when I'd rather be out on my bike.

Wednesday ended up being an intense 12-hour day and my brain was completely zapped on Thursday. I managed to get through the work day but I was too exhausted to do anything else. I laid down in bed and ended up sleeping for an hour. I was obviously exhausted. I remember hearing on a recent podcast that sleeping is never time wasted if you're fatigued and need to recover, so I justified it to myself that way. Haha.

I was able to rally to finish the week off strong, with an easy trainer ride Friday after work, my usual run and heavy/body weight routine on Saturday, and my usual long trainer ride plus PT plus evening yoga on Sunday. So, the week wasn't terrible. I did a bit of training across the board, had a rest day, enjoyed some sunshine, challenged myself, and had some fun.

By the numbers, it was:

Bike: Twice on the trainer for 39 fake trainer miles in about 2:41. The small victory here was getting on the bike at the end of a long work week before kicking off the weekend. I also finished The Office, so I think I'll start Parks and Rec from the beginning again.

Run: Twice, both on the road, for 11 miles in about 1:53. Nothing special here, just two easy runs to keep the legs moving. Both were HOT and I didn't want to overdo it heat-wise and letting my form slip-wise.

Weights: Just one of my heavy/body routines for about 1.5 hours. I am actually seeing decent progress here. I managed more pullups and chinups on Saturday than I have ever have before. I am also thinking I need to work in some new moves or do a different routine every other week. I need to do some research and see what I have in some books I already own.

PT: Twice for about 1:10.

Swim: One pool swim for 1600 meters in about 47 minutes with drills and everything. I was just happy to be there.

Yoga: One 15-minute session. I was noticeably not as stiff and sore as I usually am, so I guess that's one benefit of a low-volume week.

Total: 9 sessions for about 8:11. Not shabby at all for a step back week.

Since there are obviously no races coming up any time soon, I'm OK with my little routine here. Sure, I can shake things up at a micro level, but I feel like I'm doing enough to stay busy and relatively fit without overdoing it.

Anyway, I hope everyone is staying healthy, safe, busy, and relatively fit. I feel like that's about all we can ask for these days.




No comments:

Post a Comment