Monday, December 3, 2018

Week in review Nov. 26-Dec. 2: It was a “little bit of everything” kind of week

A third run, a third bike, a third other -- sounds about right.
It wasn’t a spectacular week, but it had its small victories. I got to the pool! I did a birthday “triathlon”! I got to run outside in the sunshine and warm-ish air! I was able to squeeze in some yoga!

I even managed a rest day, taking Thursday completely off training. I don’t remember why, so I was probably just tired and fed up with the week. Usually that happens by Tuesday, haha. But I was able to finish the week out strong with doubles Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, so a day of rest and an early bedtime definitely didn’t hurt.

My week was:

Run/Walk: Three times, twice on the treadmill and once on the road, for 18.25 miles in about 3:17. This was a weird week: One 39-minute straight run for my birthday, bookended by walking warmups and cooldowns; one “speed” run of increasing 0.75-mile intervals with alternating walks and jogs, ending with a jog to hit 65 miles for the month; and one straight “long-ish” run that ended up being shorter than my “speed” run earlier in the week. But, I got to enjoy the 50-degree weather and sunshine yesterday, and nothing hurt by the end of the week, so I’m considering this a success even if I got there in a strange, roundabout way.

Bike: Three times, all on the trainer, for 41.32 fake trainer miles in about 3:13. Doing a shorter ride of 39 minutes for my birthday threw off my usual totals a bit, but other than that the week’s rides were pretty unremarkable.

PT: Just two solo sessions this week for a total of about 1:15. Unfortunately I can’t make everything a priority, and these fell down the list this week.

Weights: Just one video this week for about 50 minutes (skipping the warmup because I did this right after a trainer ride). Again, I would have liked to do a heavy/body session, but it fell down the priority list. I usually lift heavy on Saturdays but we went to a Christmas party with friends instead, and we had a blast, so the trade-off was well worth it to me.

Swim: Yay, a swim! Just one session of 39 minutes of drills for my birthday.

Yoga: One quick Sunday night session of about 15 minutes. I definitely needed this. Even though I logically know my hips and glutes would especially benefit from some yoga several times during the week, I am struggling to find even a few minutes here and there. Usually by the end of the day I’m tired and just want to relax. This is something I need to keep working on.

Total: 11 sessions in about 9.5 hours. Overall, a good week.

We’re moving solidly into the holiday season and I’m hoping I can keep up my good weekly habits. We don’t have a lot of plans … yet … but I’m sure the parties and shopping and all that other stuff will be popping up shortly. On the days when I can work, work out, sleep, and repeat, I will. On the days I can’t, I won’t. I’m going to do what I can and try not to beat myself up about it. And if I have more "little bit of everything" weeks in the meantime, that's good, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment