Monday, December 10, 2018

Week in review December 3-9: It wasn’t great, but I enjoyed a bit of a break

Eh.
It wasn’t a great week. I logged about half the number of workouts and volume I usually do. Part of it was because I felt super crappy and exhausted on Tuesday (thanks, hormones) and part of it was that my old, rusty treadmill decided to stop playing nicely. I am pretty sure Santa is going to bring us a new one this year.

The week actually started off well with a barre class Monday. We had had our Christmas card pictures taken the day before, so I spent the rest of the evening color correcting and ordering cards. (Yes, we are the weirdos who do pics with our dogs every year.) I barely slept early in the week but rallied for an easy treadmill run on Wednesday followed by a bit of yoga, and a decent trainer ride on Thursday.

It had been a loooooong day Friday and I wanted nothing more than to crawl into bed and order takeout, but I rallied again and got on the treadmill to do a speed workout only to find that the belt wasn’t keeping up with the speed I wanted to run. I managed to plod for a mile before calling it quits. The jerky motion aggravates my hip and knee and I didn’t want to be surprised if/when it did suddenly start going the speed I wanted.

I could have been productive on Saturday after a good night’s sleep, but I did boring things instead like have a nice breakfast out with my husband, run errands, address cards, and start Christmas shopping before meeting my parents for dinner. I was surprisingly successful tracking down gifts so it wasn’t a total waste of time. By the time Sunday came around, I was refreshed and ready for a long-ish run.

As frustrating as the week was, it had its successes. I cooked dinner every single weeknight. (Going out with my parents Saturday was the first time in almost TWO WEEKS we had gone out to dinner!!!) I had a prepped breakfast and lunch every day. It was warm enough to do my long-ish run outside. After a walk warmup, I ran a straight 10K, the first time in over a year that my knee has allowed me to do that.

I think my biggest “fail” of the week was that I didn’t do any PT. As we get closer to the holiday crush, I expect that I am going to have to be judicious with my time in the evenings. I know I have to run one errand after work today and probably another tomorrow, so I may be deciding between cooking, a run or a ride, OR PT, but not all three. I get frustrated when I can’t check off my entire to-do list, so I am going to have to practice patience with myself. Maybe I will call it getting into the holiday spirit.

Anyway, my week by the numbers was:

Run/Walk: Three times, twice on the treadmill and once on the road, for 14.1 mile in a bit longer than 2.5 hours. This included one aborted speed treadmill run and a really nice 10K in the brisk air.

Bike: Once on the trainer for 13.5 fake trainer miles in an hour.

Weights: One barre class for about an hour.

Yoga: One self-guided session of mostly hip openers, bends, etc. for 20 minutes.

Total: 6 sessions in a hair less than 5 hours.

Yeah, I could have done a lot more. But everyone needs a few days off here and there, and hopefully I can use that rest to build toward a stronger week this week.



No comments:

Post a Comment