Monday, January 25, 2021

Week in review Jan. 18-24: Running around cold and work

I'm already in a grouchy mood for the week since I had to work late this evening and missed my running window. Angry face! I am trying to be realistic that I just might not get in a lot of running for the next month or so, but still. Not a good way to start the week.

Last week got off to a much better start in no small part because I had Monday off for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. I made a nice, big breakfast, got some cleaning and other stuff done around the house, and then did a slightly-longer-than-usual-Monday bike trainer ride. It was a nice way to pretend real life doesn't exist, for another day. The rest of the week was a whirlwind of trainer rides, watching the inauguration festivities, working late, and squeezing in runs when the sun peeked out and the temperatures weren't quite as frigid.

I didn't get to do my usual heavy weights workout on Saturday due to a (safe, takeout) lunch taking a bit longer than expected, but I did get outside for a run. I only ran twice this week, and both of them were a bit on the peppy-for-me side, not because I wanted to do a lot of speedwork, but once because I was squeezing in a "runch" in the middle of a looooong work day, and once because it was cold and the fast miles were helping to keep me warm.

One non-running item of note was that I biked for exactly 5 minutes longer this week compared to last, but for 3 more miles. That's the result of a recent FTP test and resulting higher threshold power, and me being stubborn and refusing to end the week at something ridiculous like 79 miles. No way, not this Type A triathlete.

In non-running, non-trainer news, I have managed to keep my goal of doing yoga every day I run, 9 days each so far this month. I have also done PT or mobility work 6 times per week for the last two weeks, which is big for me. I am making progress.
Solid and steady weeks are going to get me through the winter.
Overall, last week was:

Bike: Four times, all on the trainer, for 80 trainer miles in about 5:06. I had to scale back a bit on a day when I was pretty tired, but I still managed four good rides.

PT/Pre-hab: Six times, three mobility and three running rehab, for about 3:45 total. Doing something almost every day is a big deal for me. Of course, it's too cold to run and take advantage of all this pre-hab, but there's no doubt it's doing me good overall.

Weights: Three times of a core, a barre app, and a video, for about 2:20. I am liking this routine of doing core on Mondays, but I still need to find a routine that works for me.

Run: Twice, both outside, for 14 miles total in about 2:14. One was a fast runch and one was a fast 8-miler to stay warm. I just have no desire to get out there in the cold, ice, and snow when it's ridiculous out, especially since there aren't any races coming up, and I'm totally fine with that right now.

Yoga: Twice, one Down Dog app and one self-guided, for about 30 minutes total.

Total: 17 sessions for almost 14 hours. 

It wasn't a standout week but it was a week of solid workouts, adapting when I needed to, getting the important stuff done, and being consistent. If I have a winter of weeks like this, I'll be in good shape.

I hope you all are able to get it done this winter as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment