Monday, February 10, 2020

Week in review Feb. 3-9: Training ebb and flow, ice and snow

Lots of trainer riding, and some other stuff too.
I started out last week great, petered out a bit, had a strong Saturday due to being a hermit, and then fell off Sunday due to family being in town and a snowstorm.

Try as I might, I couldn’t squeeze in my workouts around everything else that needed to be done, so Sunday ended up a rest day. But that’s OK. I was still a bit sore from weights the day before, and I got to hang out with loved ones, and meet my new “nephew” (sister’s best friend’s kiddo), so it was all worth it in the end.

I was kind of beating myself up Sunday evening, telling myself I should have gotten up early to run, I should have gone grocery shopping Saturday night instead of Sunday afternoon, I should have done this, I should have done that. But I did a lot of fun stuff and had some quality rest time, too: I baked chocolate pumpkin bread and cookies, I watched a few episodes of The Crown, I cuddled with the mutts, I slept in a bit both weekend days, I enjoyed a rare hour of sunshine in the living room with my coffee Sunday morning. I could have squeezed something else in but I also need to remember that I’m not a machine and do need some down time.

I’m not unhappy with how the week shook out, as it was still pretty solid:

Bike: Three times, all on the trainer, for 63.5 fake trainer miles in a hair longer than 4 hours. There was nothing remarkable about this: It was two, 1-hour long rides after work, and a 2-hour long ride on Saturday. I finished Derry Girls and started Cheer. My knees didn’t hurt. Everything was fine.

Swim: Twice, both in the pool, for 1600 meters + 1750 yards (about 1 mile each for 2 miles total) in about 1:38. I’m still pretty slow, and I’m still doing a lot of even slower drills (I’m sure I alarmed the lifeguard during my one-handed drills on Friday), but I am getting in the yardage/meterage here and there, so I’m counting it as a success. After I had to stop my swim a bit early last week for foot and calf cramps at the very end, I think I’m going to keep these at about a mile for now.

Friday’s swim also included 20 minutes straight to see if I could do it … because that is the length of the swim in the indoor triathlon I got coerced/talked into signing up for this coming weekend. It’s been 8 YEARS since I’ve done one of these. Stay tuned.

Run: Twice, both on the treadmill, for 8 miles in slightly less than an hour and a half. Nothing flashy here, just me trying to get back into the swing of things after a tender knee took me out for about a week. I really would have liked to do a “long” run yesterday, Sunday, and maybe I should have forced myself to get up early and do it before it started snowing and family and friends came into town, but… yuck. I enjoyed a good night’s sleep and a nice breakfast instead.

Weights: One round of my heavy/body routine for about 1:15. I was able to bump up some weight here and there and add a pullup and pushup here and there, and am still a little sore two days later, so I consider this one a success.

PT: Two rounds of my homework and then rolling out my quads and calves for about 1:10 total.

Total: 10 sessions in just longer than 9.5 hours. Considering I had a full day off, that is GREAT for me. I would have liked to do a bit of yoga Sunday evening, but I was already pressed for time trying to finish prepping food for the week after racing home from the family get-together, and it didn’t happen. The silver lining to a rest day on Sunday is that my legs aren’t THAT tired today, so that’s a small win there.

My plan is to take it easier tonight, finish some stuff around the house, and get a good night’s sleep. Hopefully that will propel me into another good week. Sadly, there is more ice and snow predicted, so I'm going to try to front-load the week again. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully I can stay out of the snow and ice for another week!




4 comments:

  1. Woooo for signing up for the indoor tri. Looking forward to the debrief on that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My only real goal is to beat my friend on the bike and run. XD

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the indoor tri!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It should be fun and I should get a t-shirt, either way. =D

      Delete