Thursday, February 27, 2020

First workout in a week!

I have been sick.

It started last Wednesday with a sore throat – annoying, but manageable. I even went to the gym for an easy run that night. The sore throat continued into Thursday, the day I had an outdoor work event in bitter cold temperatures. I’m it didn't help and ended up losing my voice and taking a half work from home day, half sick day on Friday. I didn't do any exercise either day.

Saturday started off OK but I felt crappier and crappier as the day went on. I started canceling plans, bailing on a commitment with my mom (sad face) and hanging out with friends and their kids, including their new baby (super sad face). By that night I had a fever and spent the next 36 hours alternating between sleeping, drinking tea, and taking Benadryl.

The fever was gone by Sunday night and I stayed home from work Monday to sleep and recover. Tuesday and Wednesday I felt OK and had pretty much normal days, except for a bit of head loopiness coming and going in waves. Today, finally, was the first day my brain had felt completely normal since Thursday night. I'm still congested and have a cough, but I found myself looking forward to an easy workout tonight.

So, for the first time since last Wednesday, I found myself doing a tiny bit of training – just a half an hour on the bike today. It felt good to work up a mild sweat (and not from a fever) and get the endorphins going again.
It wasn't much, but it was something.
I have no idea how I got sick in the first place. I work in a building that's populated with teenagers and young adults. In the week before I got the sore throat, I had worked out in at least four different fitness establishments. I go to the farmers market and grocery store. I had made a quick visit to a health clinic. It could have been anything.

I am not expecting to leap right back into fitness, but I am looking forward to doing a bit more training now that I am feeling myself again. And a friendly reminder: WASH YOUR HANDS. THOROUGHLY.



No comments:

Post a Comment