Monday, November 25, 2019

Week in review Nov. 18-24: Finally, some heavy weights and PT

Finally, something resembling a good week.
I got back into something resembling a groove last week. I rode the trainer or ran after work Monday through Thursday, I did a long trainer ride Saturday, and I did a longer-than-usual-but-not-quite-long run on Sunday. It was pretty much a normal week.

I was also able to rally Saturday and Sunday for one more thing each day, my heavy/body weight routine on Saturday and, finally, some PT/pre-hab on Sunday. I went back through my logs and it had been three months, almost to the day, since I last lifted heavy. Ugh! Two days later and I am still feeling it. I really struggle in the evenings making time for PT after a workout but I didn’t let myself have any excuses Sunday and I got it done.

For a couple of weeks now, I have been having some pain in my outer hip area … on the left side, where almost all of my injuries have occured. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the hip pain started up a week or so after I really started neglecting my PT exercises and let my weights slide to once per week on a good week. During resistance band clamshells and hip extensions hurt SO badly Sunday. I know I am letting my glutes get weak, and my hips are probably compensating, painfully.

Logically, I know I cannot keep neglecting PT as I get older but it is SO hard for me in the evenings after a long day of work, a run or trainer ride, making dinner, and getting to bed at a decent hour. Now that it’s cold out, it’s probably time to dust off the slow cooker and throw a meal in there a couple of times per week to save me an hour in the evenings. I did make a big pot of chili and a lasagna this past weekend, so that’s a start!

Anyway, last week’s workouts were:

Bike: Three times, all on the trainer, for 62.5 fake trainer miles in about 4:05. This is two, hour-long rides during the week and a two-hour ride on Saturday, all while watching The Good Place.

Run: Twice on the treadmill and once on the road for 18.5 miles in about 3:13. The treadmill runs were nice and boring 5-milers to not aggravate my hip/glute situation, and Sunday’s run was a nice, long-ish easy run around the neighborhood while the temperatures weren’t quite as cold as they have been and the sun was still shining. I took this super easy and did 7 running miles, which isn’t too shabby for taking two weeks off long runs. All runs started and ended with a quarter-mile walk, for the extra 1.5 miles.

Weights: One round of my heavy/body routine (stuff like pushups, deadlifts, shoulder presses, etc.) for about 1:15. I tried a 10-minute ab/core workout at the end of a Bob Harper (of the Biggest Loser) video I’ve been neglecting, and eh. I don’t think I’ll do it again, but at least I tried something new.

PT: One round of my running form exercises plus some rolling of my quads/IT bands and calves afterward for about 35 minutes.

Total: 8 sessions in about 9:08, a pretty good week for me these days.

I had some other fun in there in addition to the chili and lasagna: We hung out with friends on Friday night, we went to a nice breakfast out Saturday, I had a long-overdue Skype call with my sister, and I made a couple of fun desserts yesterday (although it remains to be seen if any will still be around Thursday!). This week, I am hoping to get in nice workouts early in the week, take Wednesday off for something that rhymes with schmirthday, and eat too much for Thanksgiving on Thursday. I do have Friday off work so I’m hoping to get in a nice run and maybe a barre class, and then be in a good position to get some longer training done over the weekend. And do some relaxing, of course.

I am very much looking forward to a few days off, turkey, and Thanksgiving treats. Whether you celebrate or not, I hope you all have a great week.



1 comment: