Thursday, December 28, 2017

Just keep swimming

I made it to the pool today. I have been dreading going for a few weeks now, but once I was there, it was so good to be back in the water again. I did 1,000 meters of drills and an easy 5 x 200 just to get a feel for the water. Of course I was slow. It's only the seventh (!) time I've been in the pool for 2017. Ugh.

I'm trying not to think about how far I've fallen from my decent swimming days, because I am happy to be back in the water. And I have a lot of room for improvement.

Sorry if you follow me here an on Instagram, but I'm going to repeat myself. This about sums up where I am and where I want to go:

_____________________________________________________________________

Today's swim.
Real Talk:

It’s been a rough couple of years. Not long ago I was placing in my age group in short course and completed a 70.3. I used to swim 3-4 times per week. Today was my seventh time in the pool this year.

It’s been a whirlwind of overuse injuries; mismanaged hypothyroidism-induced anxiety, depression, and weight gain; DNFs and DNSs; and now a fissure in my cartilage. I have wanted to just quit, all of it, more than once.

I don’t know if I will ever be the “athlete,” and I use the term loosely, that I was a few years ago. Right now I will be happy if I can rebuild at all. But I am going to keep trying.




2 comments:

  1. Well done for getting back in to the pool.

    You probably won't ever be the athlete you were; you'll be a different, tougher one with the experiences of the last year to push you.

    ReplyDelete