Saturday, October 21, 2017

So, I went to a kung fu class

There have been a few attacks on female runners this past year or so, so I started running with my phone more often and have been keeping an eye out for self defense classes. I signed up for one at Detroit Kung Fu Academy this past week. I've gone to one tae kwon do class at least 15 years ago, so I had no idea what to expect.

It was ... interesting. I expect every self-defense class to start out telling us to be aware of our surroundings, as if we don't know that already, and there was a little of that. We went through a form routine a few times, and then learned a few moves. We learned how to sink our body weight down so we could leverage it to throw someone off balance, and how to punch and block.

I don't know that I need ANOTHER gym or studio membership, so I probably won't train there. But I wouldn't say no to the occasional odd class, and it's always good to learn something new, right?

And just because I didn't get any good pictures:





No comments:

Post a Comment