Monday, January 11, 2021

Week in review Jan. 4-10: Ugh.

There really is no better word to describe last week other than "ugh."

I had to go back to work after a long holiday. Ugh. And to add insult to injury, there was a mad scramble starting Wednesday that led to me working late Thursday, very late Friday, and Saturday morning. Ugh.

It's gloomy and cold out. Ugh.

Have you watched the news lately? Ugh.

It was all I could do to get through the week in one piece. My brain was completely fried by Friday and I logged off way too late to squeeze in a run, anyway. I was so exhausted on Saturday that even after sleeping in I didn't do much else all day other than go the market, lounge around in bed, and fart around on the computer.

By Sunday I was feeling a little more like myself and was able to wrap up the week with a run and weights video, since I hadn't done my usual heavy/body routine that Saturday. The sun even came out for a bit during my run. It was cold but it was nice to get outside and move my body for a bit.

Every discipline was below average this week and ... I kind of don't care. Rarely do I take two days in a row off from training but, if there ever was a time to do it, it was this past week. It was disastrous all around and I was glad to get it in the rearview mirror.

It ended up as:
Considering the crappiness of the last week, I'll take this as a success.
Bike: Three times, all on the trainer, for 49 fake trainer miles in 3:12 exactly. Nothing special here, just trying to build up that base.

Run: Twice, both on the road, for 14 miles in about 2:17. I had every intention to get out for a run in the afternoon Wednesday, but I ended up having to take a work call even though it was my furlough day. Of course it ran long and I didn't get out until later than I would have liked. But, I adapted and made it a bit of a speed run, which was nice. The only other day I ran was Sunday, another 7-miler but much easier. Eh, I'm getting out there when I can.

Weights: Three times of one core session, one online barre, and one video for about 2:15. I'm still trying to find a Monday core routine that works, and I did a video Sunday since I was too fried for my regular Saturday weight session.

PT/Pre-hab: This really suffered last week and I only did two mobility sessions and one running PT session for about 1:30. I was feeling pretty stiff by the end of the week and I'm sure this didn't help.

Yoga: Twice on the Down Dog app for 30 minutes total. Well, this was one goal I did meet: Doing yoga on every day I run.

Total: 13 sessions for about 9:44. Eh, considering the week, I'm not going to beat myself up over a less-than-usual-volume week.

There's not much else to do but regroup, refocus, and work on making next week just a bit better. I've got my bike workouts, the weather is cooperating just enough that I can get outside a few times per week for a run, and I have plenty of supplemental workouts to keep me busy. Plus, I'm WAY behind on personal projects, and that includes totaling up my 2020 numbers. I really want to wrap that up and close the book on the year, for good.

I hope your week was less stressful than mine was and that you're already off to a good start for this week. Stay healthy and safe out there.



No comments:

Post a Comment