Monday, September 16, 2019

Week in review Sept. 9-15: Run, ride, ouch

Even ending the week on a down note, it was still a good amount of bike and run.
As I grumbled about yesterday, my knee was really bothering me late Saturday and all day Sunday, to the point where I was limping around the house. A long run yesterday was out of the question, and today became a rest day as well.

I’m a bit befuddled because I don’t think I had an out-of-the-ordinary high volume week or anything like that. My usual weekly load these days is three runs and three rides, maybe one ride outside, and some weight training and PT sprinkled in. The only thing I can think of is that I logged my fastest 40K since getting my new Garmin almost two years ago, but that was still far slower than my race 40K PR. I'm not breaking any land speed records, here.

Even if the week ended on a down note it was still mostly good. I did a "long" run on Monday to make up for not running last weekend, and I did get to ride outside for what is probably one of the last times of the season. Wednesday's and Friday's runs both had the added adventure of dodging thunderstorms.

And, I got to enjoy some non-training aspects of life, too: Scoring some deals shopping with my mom, taking a nap one afternoon, ordering in shawarma for debate-watching food, dying my hair a fun shade of purple, etc. You know, the usual stuff. 

The workout stuff broke down to be:

Bike: Three times, two on the trainer for 31 fake miles and one road ride for 35 miles, for about 4:17 in the saddle total. I keep working at those Trainer Road rides, and the outdoor spin was glorious: Beautiful weather, body felt fine, small amount of annoying people, etc.

Run: Three times, all on the road, for 15.25 total miles in about 2:38. It's my best total weekly mileage since I had slowly, slowly worked up to double-digit long runs in February. This included a "speed" run with some quarter-mile pickups and they all felt good, so I'm calling this week a running success.

PT: Just one homework session plus some rolling of my quads and calves for about 35 minutes.

Total: 7 sessions in about 7:30. Eh, it's still more than once per day for an hour per day, so I can't be too mad at that.

The good news is my knee is already feeling better today with a day of rest. I'll try an easy ride tomorrow to test it out, and go from there. As mad as I was yesterday, I'm relieved that it's mostly better today. Hopefully it was just a bit of inflammation and I can get on with my life. We'll see.



No comments:

Post a Comment