Friday, June 3, 2016

A new Friday double workout routine? Maybe.

I had a dilemma today. I try to swim on Fridays because my favorite pool is usually pretty empty. But I wanted to run, since I have been doing well running every other day and my legs are feeling good. Plus, I want to bike tomorrow, and there's a better chance I'll get out of the door at a decent hour if I'm not squeezing in a run first.

Complicating things further, there are several sporting events taking place this weekend near 3 of the 4 pools I have easy access to (including my beloved 25-meter outdoor pool, in which I WILL swim more than last year). So I was in a pickle... I want to run, I want to swim, I don't want to deal with parking and people... what to do, what to do.

First, a run.
I ended up running after work at the trail near my office, then heading to the pool near my office for a swim afterward. Logistically, it worked great! I got my outdoor run done, had a snack, and made it to the pool with plenty of time for a nice swim before it closed. There was Aqua Zumba going on next to me, but I was able to tune out the butt-shaking old ladies and get my laps in...

Then, a swim.
... for a while. Sadly, the pool felt almost as warm as bathwater. While I started out doing OK, I felt sicker and sicker as I went on. I had to take a few breaks to cool down and make sure I wouldn't barf. I mixed in a few easy kick board sets. I was pretty sure I could do a mile without barfing, but as soon I was done I hopped out. I stood next to an open door for a minute just to cool down. Ugh. I swam at that pool all last summer and while I remember the water being warm, I don't think it ever made me sick to my stomach.

So. My plan worked, kind of. But I'm not sure if I would do it again unless the pool gets cooled down a bit. Hopefully, this was just a one-time fluke thing and I can get back into my regular pool again soon. And, if not, I always have this as a very warm backup plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment