Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Week in review May 9-15: Tales of a Mediocre Multisport Nothing

Empty training log pages.
Well, it finally happened. I had a week during which I did no triathlon training.

Zero. Nada. Zilch. (And it was most of the reason I've been MIA here... it's a little embarrassing.)

I had a good reason – I was in Toronto for the majority of the week – and even then I wasn’t a TOTAL slug. According to Gmaps Pedometer, we walked at least 25 miles around the downtown area over four days. (Don’t worry, we ate it all back in lattes, baked goods and ice cream.) But walking isn’t tri training so I can’t really count that.

Total: Nothing

I had big plans to train before and after our mini vacation but it just didn’t happen. Monday evening I got caught up in side business stuff, Tuesday and Saturday evenings we transported the mutts to and from my parents’, and Sunday was more side business stuff and visiting with a friend in town. It was the absolute worst weekend for a visitor, but I really wanted to see her so I made it work. It’s a first-world problem to have to skip training and meal prepping for the week to get brunch with a friend, after all.

Another reason for skipping training is that I’m almost certainly going to be out of town (again) for my usual first race of the season, the sprint or Olympic version of which I’ve done every year for the past four. Without that race day breathing down my neck I’m less inclined to get on the bike or in the pool, so I’ve been taking advantage of the nice weather with a run whenever I can.

In fact, I haven’t officially scheduled anything for the summer yet. Part of me is like, “Meh, who cares if you don’t do anything this summer anyway.” Part of me is like, “OMG, you’re going to lose all your triathlon fitness.” Then that first part of me is like, “You never had any triathlon fitness to begin with, LOL.”

So right now I’m going to play it by ear. It’s supposed to be nice again this weekend so I see a bike ride in my future. If I can start getting in some consistent training, maybe I’ll race. If I can’t, maybe I’ll do a few fun 5Ks. If I can’t, well, maybe I’ll just eat ice cream on vacation for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment