Friday, September 12, 2014

Work, insomnia and weather: The trifecta of run killers

Earlier this week.

What do these three things have in common?
  • Working into the evening
  • Lying in bed wide awake for three hours
  • Severe thunderstorms

If you guessed things that get in the way of going running, you would be correct! An acceptable answer would also be "things that happened this week."

I was really looking forward to the end of triathlon season and "only" having to train long one weekend day for the rest of the year. I typically move my long runs to Saturdays, during college football, so I'm not missed much (if at all) when I'm gone.

But, and there's always a but, that means my scheduled recovery/day off running moves to Sunday, and I pick up again with an easy run on Monday. This Monday I was in meetings alone for four hours. Add in all my actual work, and I got home late and too tired to go for a run.

No problem. I moved things around and ran Tuesday morning. Great! But Tuesday was another late night on the computer, so a Wednesday morning run didn't happen. And Wednesday evening featured the weather system above.

No problem. I'll just get up early Thursday and run. I even got to bed before 10 p.m. Wednesday night. But I just laid there... and laid there... and laid there. I finally fell asleep at about 1 a.m. So I was definitely not getting up at 5:30 a.m.

Seriously, people, what does a girl gotta do to go for a run around here?!?

The good news is I had an excellent 8-miler last night with some decently paced pickups. We're in the midst of a cool spell so it was nice not being drenched in sweat within the first half mile. I wore a long-sleeved shirt and was even a little warm by the end.

The other good news is that I only have two more LONG long runs left on the schedule — only two more runs that take up the whole morning or most of the day.

I'm going to get it done one way or the other — storms, exhaustion, work, and all of life's other distractions be damned.

No comments:

Post a Comment